Thursday, March 4, 2010

Project: Chaos Banner / Freehanding Tutorial

So a while back I did my freehand Blood Angels Chapter Banner. This seemed to get a real good reaction and even made the FTW Tuesday Top Ten List(#52).

Well, after that Ron and a few others asked if I could do a tutorial on how I did it. Unfortunately, I didn't keep records of how I did it enough to make a tutorial. I know the process and can describe it, but not really show it. On top of that I don't have or need another banner in my Blood Angels at the moment. So I asked around my gaming club and found a Khornate CSM player who had a banner that they wouldn't mind being painted.

Now I am just waiting for my spare time and good enough weather to spray paint to line up to get a base coat on this thing and I can start. But this is step 2. I have already completed step one by choosing a design I want on the banner. It is very critical, that this is done before everything else. Find or Draw a picture. Try to do it to scale so that the level of detail will be constant. Too big a picture or drawing and you will have too much detail that will be difficult to transfer down to a miniature scale.

The design I have chosen is this:

The banner I am working with is more tattered though and so the skulls at the bottom will be missing for the most part. Just imagine ripping the bottom corners off the banner above. Got it? Good.

Well, thats all for now. When the tutorial is done is the next time you will read about this I guess.